Wednesday, January 26, 2011

First Glance [CRITIQUE]

Here I have my first assignment for Advanced Magazine Design. The challenge: create a cover and five-page feature design for a photo essay based on the story of a former NASCAR racer and his daughter Elle, 2, taking on the baby beauty pageant world. I'll begin with the cover and take you through my design concept and choices, and of course, a personal critique and assessment on the finished product.


Cover - Baby Beauty Pageant

Feature - Baby Beauty Pageant

Feature - Baby Beauty Pageant2

Feature - Baby Beauty Pageant3


After initially being struck by Ronnie's intriguing background and his transformation into the ultimate stage dad, I couldn't help but be drawn to the photographer's beautiful portrayal of Ellie in the photograph I have on the cover. The pageant world's tendency to portray their contestants as elegant, sophisticated women is what drove my design decisions. My overall design was meant to portray Ellie as one of those elegant, sophisticated women regardless of her (very) young age. I thought the photographs combined with my fonts and other simple graphic elements helped emphasize this.

Regardless of my content-driven design, I see now where I seemed to miss the mark. I think it was clearly my fondness for these photographs of Ellie that caused me to veer off track from the story's true focus: this father, leaving his life on the racetracks to help build his daughter's confidence and self-esteem by becoming the ultimate pageant dad.

Although this first design wasn't on point, it was a great opportunity for me to understand the importance of having the right content drive the design.


To finding a toddler in a tiara not so terrifying,

Tova

5 comments:

  1. I thought your feature design was definitely one of the best. I really liked your typography on the opening page and how you continued it throughout with the subheads. The cool mint green color was also a unique contrast to the shades of pink most people chose, and I thought it worked really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job with this feature. It is clearly about the photos, but the small graphic elements help move the reader along the story. The large typography next to the large photo on your opening spread works really well, and adds interest to the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your color palette for the beauty pageant spread. It was so different from everyone else, and you accomplished what I could not. I struggled with the colors so much because I didn't want it to be too bold, but I wasn't thrilled about using all pink (which I did end up doing). That minty green color really complimented the pictures well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also loved your color palette. The pastel green shows off Ellie's youth without using the cliche pinks that a lot of the rest of us used. I really liked the way you treated your pull quotes as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful typography! You found a way to defy obvious visual cliches for this story without making the overall mood of your design contrast with the story. I can't wait to see more of your work!

    ReplyDelete