Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Magazine Publishing Prototype Project [CRITIQUE]

One of the bigger design projects from this week (although it's hard to choose, there are quite a few in the works this week) is a design for a magazine prototype for our project for a large magazine publishing corporation in which we present them with a concept for a brand new magazine. For this project, the designers are divided into groups to collaborate with the publishing capstone to create a magazine, an iPad app and any other elements or platforms for the magazine deemed necessary by the group.

The publishing group I am working with has come up with a concept for a magazine they call Shindig. This magazine is described by them as "for the entertainer in all of us." It's about believing that anyone, anywhere and with any budget can entertain. Shindig would represent that cool friend of yours who always throws the best parties – they know what to do, when to do it and how to do it so that you're time is spent enjoying the party, rather than stressing about any of those last-minute details. The magazine is an all-inclusive party planning guide that includes menus, gift ideas, product reviews and expert advice with inspiration on every page.

I wanted the magazine's design to reflect that "cool best friend" vibe, by creating a look that was chic and clever, but not too much so as to turn away readers that are hesitant to learning to entertain, etc. I look forward to seeing how my design evolves over the next several days before presenting it to the publishing team and faculty members involved in the project next week. As we began critiques on these magazine prototypes in class on Tuesday, I realize how much work I have ahead in narrowing down my overall design concept (and color palette) and deciding how to carry out my concept throughout the magazine.

Here are some of my beginning designs and color palette for the magazine prototype...

Screen shot 2011-02-16 at 8.01.28 PM

Screen shot 2011-02-16 at 8.01.53 PM

Screen shot 2011-02-16 at 8.02.04 PM

3 comments:

  1. Tova your prototype is beautiful! It's clean, professional and easy to read. I love your photo choices and color palette. The font works well too. I like the drink illustration under the title and the colored boxes you use. You're off to a great start. I'm excited to work together this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The font of the cover looks great! And I really love the content page, the color of the "fence"?? and the green match perfectly. But I think the left page of the feature page is a little crowded, maybe you can leave some more white space. and the positioning of SHINding is quite to the edge. I don't know if you do that on purpose but I feel like it will be cut out of the page. Overall the design is very summer feel~~ I can feel a breeze when looking at it! Looking forward to your final draft believe it will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your color palette definitely reflects your design vision. It's very fun. The logo typeface may be a bit too fun, though. I don't think it fits with some of the other font choices you've made. I think the font you used for the headline on your feature spread is very strong. It has great personality without being too teeny bopper.

    I agree with Chen that the spacing of the logo is a little awkward, but it could just be the font. I think there are fonts that would work well bleeding off the edges.

    ReplyDelete