Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Critique: Shindig prototype progress -- she's growing up!

Since being appointed Creative Director and presenting our beginning designs of the prototype to the capstone and faculty, Shindig has really begun to take shape. I spent much of my break taking critiques from both students and faculty, and really took the time to look at ways to better show the Shindig personality I was wanting to achieve in the overall design. I also noticed the need for breathing room and full-bleed photos in the magazine, so these added introduction pages for departments not only allow for that, but give an opportunity to add photos of people.

Because of the lower resolution of the wood/other textures I had wanted to include in departments, I've taken them out – it just would really look awful if those were even slightly pixelated because they run so large, but after taking it out and working on finding other ways to show the . But after really great feedback from Thursday's presentation, I've updated the templates and streamlined them, and I think you'll be happy with them. Let me know what you all think of the changes! I think they've transferring really nicely onto each department page design. I'm looking forward to see how this prototype shapes up with these new template items.

Shindig template1

Shindig template2

Shindig template3

Shindig template4

1 comment:

  1. I like the department names and the way you have created individual color palettes for each section that remains cohesive for the whole book. I also really like the sidebars you have created. I think especially with the food (so this may not matter) it reminds me of a menu. The shape is great, but I would be careful with the non-food sidebars that it doesn't look exactly the same - different colors might help achieve this. Your book is really coming together. I really enjoy all of the different elements that you are generating. The lines and boxes on your feast spread are a nice way to organize your information!

    ReplyDelete